TITLE: Program Manager, Internships and Alumni
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs and Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Ada Developers Academy (Ada) (www.adadevelopersacademy.org), a fiscally sponsored project of TSNE MissionWorks (www.tsne.org), provides an intensive developer training program for women and gender diverse people with little software development experience. In one year, students are taught programming techniques and best practices to enable them to become junior developers. The program consists of two distinct parts, six months in the classroom, and five months of internship at local partner companies, where students refine their skills working on real-world code.
Are you an experienced program manager who enjoys building genuine relationships and helping others? Do you enjoy the challenge of creating structure and process to improve efficiency? This is an exciting opportunity for a service-oriented individual who is excited to grow and scale two critical programs at Ada, while positively impacting the lives of aspiring and current software developers. The Program Manager, Internships and Alumni will have the dual responsibility of managing the internship program and stewarding the alumni program. You will leverage your experience to lead the internship placement program, collaborating with students, staff and partner companies to ensure a successful process from beginning to end. You will also develop the alumni program, defining the vision and strategy, and subsequently creating and executing strategies to effectively engage alumni. You believe in the potential of Ada alumni (Adies) as individuals and as a network, and are excited to support this growing community. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week).
Essential Job Functions
Internship Program (50%)
Support internship program operations, ensuring a positive and smooth experience for all stakeholders, including students/interns, company partners, volunteers, and staff, for each cohort.
- Manage the internship placement process from beginning to end, communicating with students, partner companies, volunteers, and staff;
- Serve as the primary point of contact between students, interns, and partner companies throughout the lifecycle of the cohort;
- Determine career development content for each cohort, securing speakers to present career-related topics, e.g networking, resumes, interview prep, salary negotiation; Provide individual career coaching and support as needed;
- Onboard new and returning company partners, setting process and internship placement expectations; schedule company presentations and placement interviews; maintain and deepen existing company relationships;
- Proactively monitor internships with companies and interns; anticipate issues that may arise, identify solutions to placement issues, coach interns and the companies toward resolution, collaborating Ada staff as needed;
- Regularly collect feedback from partner companies and interns in the form of surveys and one-on-one meetings; analyze data and leverage learnings to improve the internship experience for both stakeholders;
- Oversee the intern to full-time employment transition period, including setting up full-time interview loops with partner companies, coaching job-hunting interns;
- Plan, execute and run events as they relate to internships, including, but not limited to: graduation ceremonies, company meet and greets, capstones, offsite visits, etc.
- Compile and track internship, student, and alumni data in SalesForce and be responsible for collective data integrity from internship through post-graduation; develop and maintain reports for tracking internship outcomes, providing analysis of program trends; prepare ad hoc reports as requested;
- Identify and implement process improvements to streamline and document processes;
- Manage Program Agreements and Intern Agreements with students from start to finish, working with necessary stakeholders.
Alumni Program (45%)
Support a growing alumni community (currently 300+ Adies) and identify new strategies to connect and engage alumni individually and collectively. Lead cultivation and communication to the alumni community.
- Set the mission and vision for the Alumni Program by engaging key stakeholders, listening to and learning from current alumni; create a long–term strategic plan for the alumni program that builds on alumni preferences and recommendations;
- Connect individually with approximately 4-8 alumni per month in order to build strong relationships and identify opportunities (resources, individuals, programs, etc.) to deepen their engagement with Ada or expand their leadership in the community; Understand their needs around professional development, networking, and career support;
- Work with the Instructional team to design opportunities for rigorous, robust professional development that supports alumni career goals;
- Identify opportunities for alumni to connect with current students and create structures and systems that sustain these connections;
- Understand the hiring needs of our company partners and connect alumni with opportunities that match their interests and expertise;
- Support the program logistics for the first ever Ada conference, AdieCon; work collaboratively with alumni organizers to support this alum-led program;
- Design and execute an annual alumni survey process; maintain system for strong alumni data tracking in SalesForce to inform and strengthen the alumni strategy;
- Lead communication and outreach to alumni through social media, email, events and networking opportunities; Create and publish relevant content in alignment with alumni communications strategy in alumni newsletters and website;
- Create high quality written communications and professionally respond to alumni with a high level of customer service.
Team Responsibilities (5%)
Own and support broader organizational and team priorities, including:
- Participate in the admissions interview process in collaboration with colleagues and volunteers
- Support fundraising opportunities and participate in Ada’s “culture of philanthropy”
- Complete special projects as needed or requested.
- Support colleagues on the Programs and Student Affairs teams as needed.
- 4+ years of professional work experience, preferably in program management, student services and/or recruitment, with a track record of successfully serving a variety of stakeholders and managing projects;
- Innate sense of ownership; thinks long-term and strategically, identifying problems and opportunities and taking initiative;
- Strong project management with the ability to prioritize and execute effectively across multiple streams of work with competing deadlines; Excellent organizational ability and attention to detail;
- Proven success working independently and in teams, with limited direction;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to change; ability to increase efficiency and effectiveness in a fast-paced environment that requires flexibility;
- Exceptional and empathetic written and verbal communications skills; ability to thoughtfully craft communications to reflect the audience;
- Outstanding relationship building skills, with a proven ability to cultivate effective and authentic relationships across lines of difference; ability to mediate and influence others to achieve a shared vision;
- Demonstrated experience organizing, managing, and analyzing data and information for multiple audiences and purposes. Experience using SalesForce is a plus;
- Must be comfortable presenting to students and in front of the classroom and to other groups;
- Enthusiastic support of Ada’s mission and the ability to champion it at many different levels;
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent related experience is preferred.
- Ability to work evenings or weekends, as necessary;
- Ability to travel around the greater Seattle area, as needed.
We strongly encourage people of color and others, who will bring a strong commitment to, and previous success, supporting populations of diverse cultural perspectives to apply.
TSNE MissionWorks/Ada envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE MissionWorks actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE MissionWorks/Ada will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law
September 9, 2019
To apply for this job please visit careers-tsne.icims.com.